So I've decided I want a garden and I think I want chickens and cows too. I can't fully explain it in words, but it's growing to be something I'm quite passionate about. Our friends Juli and Heath have talked about buying land and sharing some acres with two other couples so we can have fruits/vegetables and some animals. That way we could all share in the responsibility and the harvest.
Here are the pros to having this available:
1. Fresh food doesn't hold a candle nutritionally to what you can buy at the store, picked green and shipped from who knows where.
2. If we grow it we know what has been done to it.
3. As I get older I guess I want roots. Growing things from beginning to end appeals to me.
4. We want to be healthy and eat whole foods God made to eat.
5. It's cheaper!
6. It's still available in times of disaster.
7. I want my children to appreciate the outdoors, to run and play and climb trees.
Here are the cons or things I see as road blocks:
1. I sure don't know much about gardening or raising animals, although I do have many senior citizens I work with as resources!
2. Mike is not passionate about it like I am. It just is not HIS passion. It is mine. I told him the other day I wanted a garden and a mini van. He asked if I could just get a "virtual garden" and laughed. I told him he was sports cars and condos and I am gardens and mini vans. He denied the condo part but would like to have a lawn service. :o)
3. We have a perfectly fine house in town. I like our house and we have not grown out of it.
4. We do not own the land where I could have much of a garden or animals at this time.
5. It's NICE to be within walking distance of Walmart. We like it.
6. I'm busy. Do I have time to take on something new?
7. What if I did not like it once I got it? I may not like all the outdoor work, or all the work period. Gardens and animals do not grow themselves without help.
To be continued....some day some year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment